58th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
10-21 MARCH 2014 | UN HEADQUARTERS, NEW YORK
The 58th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW 58), begins today at the United Nations Headquarters in New York. This year’s theme will focus on “Challenges and achievements in the implementation of the Millennium Development Goals for women and girls.”
The annual gathering of States to address critical issues related to gender equality and women’s rights will bring together Member States, UN entities and accredited NGOs from around the world to take stock of progress and remaining challenges towards meeting the eight Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
To follow CSW58 and get involved join the conversation on twitter
Follow #CSW58 and #CSW
Side events in support of Every Woman Every Child
Investing in Girls and Women: Everybody Wins
Women: Everybody Wins” in the South Delegates Dining Room in UN Headquarters from 8am to 10am. The event is co-hosted by Women Deliver, the GirlEffect.org and Plan International and is in support of Every Woman Every Child. The event will advocate for why investing in girls and women’s reproductive health, rights and education are both the right and economical way to achieve sustainable development. The event will be lived tweeted from @unfEWEC.
- Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary of Denmark
- Amina Mohammed, UN Secretary General's Special Adviser on Post-2015 Development Planning
- Anne-Birgitte Albrechtsen, Assistant Secretary-General and Deputy Executive Director, UNFPA
- Humaira, Global Youth Speaker’s Network, Plan International
- Sharon D'Agostino, Vice President, Corporate Citizenship Johnson & Johnson
- Manu Sareen, Minister for Children, Gender Equality, Integration and Social Affairs, Zambia
- Moderated by Dame Miller of Barbados
Linking HIV, Gender Equality, and Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, as part of the post-2015 Social Justice Agenda
On 11 March UNAIDS and UN Women are hosting a high level panel in support of Every Woman Every Child. The event will take place in Conference Room 1, UN Headquarters from 6:30pm to 7:45pm. The High Level Panel will focus on linking HIV, gender equality, and sexual and reproductive health and rights, and will launch UNAIDS report on “HIV and Violence against women and girls by numbers”. The event will be lived tweeted from @unfEWEC.
- Ms Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Executive Director UN Women
- Mr Michel Sidibé, Executive Director UNAIDS