IDF & NCD Alliance: Consultation on non-communicable diseases
MAY 2011 – the International Diabetes Federation and the NCD Alliance are calling on their member associations, partners, colleagues and individuals to take part in an on-line consultation. The consultation has been launched to inform the proceedings and outcomes of the Civil Society Hearing (16 June 2011) and the United Nations’ NCD Summit (19-20 September 2011). The consultation will close on 10 June. We urge you to take action and engage in this important opportunity now!
Please take this chance to tell political leaders to take action NOW on diabetes and NCDs, end the suffering and forge a healthier future for our planet. It is an opportunity for civil society to tell world leaders the future action needed to stall the spiralling epidemic. We urge you to get your voice heard, contribute your views to the Summit, and say loud and clear that neglect of diabetes and NCDs is an OUTRAGE.
The consultation is focused on three questions:
- The specific contribution of Civil Society in NCD prevention and control and how this can be most effective
- Lessons learnt from the success of Civil Society and previous social mobilization efforts to address health and development challenges
- Specific outcomes that could be recommended for inclusion in the outcomes document being developed for the September high-level meeting on NCDs.
Question 3 is the most important– it is your opportunity to outline specific recommendations to guide Member States future commitments and action on diabetes and NCDs. To inform your recommendations, I attach the NCD Alliance’s new ‘pocket guide’ to the Proposed Outcomes Document. This includes ten key points that we consider critical to the NCD response, and I strongly urge you to use these ten points in your consultation response. Also, we recommend you attach the document to your online consultation entry.
Ten Points to Support
- Commit to a whole-of-government response through costed national plans for NCD prevention and treatment
- Establish an NCDs Partnership, linked to WHO, to coordinate follow up action with member states, other UN and multilateral agencies, foundations, NGOs and private sector
- Increase national and international resources for NCD prevention and treatment
- Include NCDs in future global health and development goals
- Accelerate implementation of Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC)
- Reduce dietary salt, sugar, saturated and trans-fats and harmful use of alcohol
- Implement strategies to encourage physical activity and improve diet
- Strengthen health systems through integration of NCD prevention and treatment
- Increase access to affordable, quality-assured essential medicines and technologies to prevent and treat cancer, cardiovascular disease, chronic respiratory disease and diabetes, including vaccines and palliative care
- Establish a high level Accountability Commission on NCDs with cross sector representation to monitor Summit commitments
Let’s unite for action! If thousands of people unite around the same key messages we will have greater influence on the Outcomes Document, ensure a successful UN Summit, and catalyse real change for the millions of people living with diabetes worldwide.
Ways to get involved
- ACT: Complete the online consultation form at http://www.who.int/nmh/events/2011/online_form/en/index.html. The deadline for submitting comments is end of business day on 10 June 2011.
- BROADCAST: Spread the word of the consultation through your networks, colleagues, friends, social media channels. We want everyone to get involved!
- SHARE: Send a copy of your submission to the NCD Alliance: firstname.lastname@example.org