IN FOCUS: RMNCH & UN September 2011
12-22 SEPTEMBER 2011 | NEW YORK
Women Connect for Health & Education: Empowering Women in the Digital Era
High-level side event and Digital Development Awards Ceremony
Date: 19 SEPTEMBER 2011
Venue: New York, Waldorf Astoria
Advanced Development for Africa (ADA) in collaboration with the UN Digital Heatlh Initiative, the ITU Women Network in ICT (WITNET), the GSMA mWomen Programme, and South South News, with participation from PMNCH, organized an official side event in parallel with the UN High Level Meeting at the New York Waldorf Astoria Hotel on September 19, 2011 from 9.30 am-2.30 pm.
The event featured a series of keynotes and high-level roundtables under the theme “Empowering Women in the Era of Digital Technologies” and a First Ladies luncheon on “Fashion for Development” that brought together key players to discuss how to empower women and girls.
The Agenda focussed on vital issues relating to the use of the Internet and mobile devices for gender empowerment, maternal and child health, HIVI/AIDS and NCDs as well as African health systems structural bottlenecks, catalyzing economic growth and how to close the ICT gender gap, and achieving effective leadership and governance, while identifying best practices and case studies, and to prioritize a set of challenges to pursue with various partners towards the achievement of all the MDGs goals for Africa by 2015.
The main objectives of the roundtables:
- Identify the key challenges to achieving MDGs 3, 4, 5, 6 and NCDs
- Discuss specific technology solutions to overcoming barriers to their achievement
- Equip attendees with the knowledge and tools that would lead to developing effective and appropriate policies and partnerships
- Prioritize challenges to pursue in the next 5 years
- Create a forum for future networking and collaborations
Keynote remarks were presented by:
- Ms Cherie Blair, Founder and Chairperson, Cherie Blair Foundation for Women
- Ms Geena Davis, Founder, Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
- Mr Sunil Bharti, Chairman & CEO, Bharti Enterprises
- Dr Carole Presern, Director of The Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health (PMNCH)
Link on your right to the full agenda.