Launching of a Global Campaign for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health
The Global Business Plan for Millennium Development Goals 4 & 5
The Prime Minister of Norway Jens Stoltenberg, UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown with Bill and Melinda Gates have taken the initiative to develop a plan for an intensified effort to reduce maternal, newborn and child deaths. The Global Business Plan aims at accelerating progress towards Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5. The Partnership has served as the platform for developing the plan and ensuring contributions by its stakeholders.
The key elements in the implementation of the Global Business Plan (GBP) for MDGs 4 & 5 will be:
- To achieve agreement among donors to concentrate funding in support of each country’s national health plan, since funding today is scattered on a multitude of different health initiatives;
- To sharply increase access to services aimed at saving life and improving health and well-being for mothers, newborns and children;
- To introduce and scale up results-based finance, so that increases in the number of people receiving care leads to a corresponding increase in funding;
- To launch a global campaign to build political commitment;
- To strengthen local advocacy.