AYC Leadership builds a plan of action for adolescent health and wellbeing
26-27 February 2018 | Geneva, Switzerland
In October 2015, PMNCH’s Board endorsed an Adolescent and Youth Constituency (AYC) as a necessary platform to deliver on the Global Strategy for Women’s, Children’s and Adolescents’ Heath. Following this endorsement, the PMNCH Board also approved a decision for the AYC to hold two board member seats and two alternate seats leading to the nomination of Gogontlejang Phaladi, and Tikhala Itaye as PMNCH Board Members; and Jan Peloza, and Patrick Mwesigye as Board Alternates.
Since then, this vibrant Constituency –composed of youth-led organisations working at country, regional and global levels –has driven PMNCH’s Adolescent Health portfolio as one of six pillars in the Every Woman Every Child Partners’ (EWEC) Framework.
At the end of February 2018, PMNCH hosted an AY constituency leadership retreat in Geneva. The meeting sought to achieve the following objectives:
- To review progress on the effective functioning of the AYC, leadership and capacity building within the constituency, and delivering on the ‘partner centric approach’; and
- to define clear next steps for the delivery of 2018 key products, as well as a leadership transition plan.
Over the course of the two days, the AY constituency leadership agreed on a number of key action points including:
- Utilising existing regional youth networks to channel capacity building support to countries.
- Strengthening the quality of the pilot PMNCH mentorship programme with intensive support to mentors and mentees. This pilot programme started in October 2017 and already has 100 participants.
- Linking youth networks with civil society partners at country level to strengthen roll-out of the Advocating for change for adolescents! Toolkit.
- Providing capacity building and earmarked funding to youth organisations as part of the seed grants mechanism to be developed in collaboration with the Global Financing Facility.
- Convening an adolescent health and wellbeing working group as a platform to bring together the PMNCH constituencies, including youth organisations, to deliver on the adolescent health and wellbeing agenda.
- Convening sub-groups to deliver on key products this year, including a resource on meaningful youth engagement, a campaign on adolescent health and wellbeing and a coalition of champions to amplify the key messages of the campaign.
- Supporting a youth engagement sub-group to feed into the planning of the Partners’ Forum.