The Partnership Update - February 2008
Looking forward to 2008
Each of these developments brings with it clear opportunities for The Partnership’s work to support improved MNC health outcomes at country, regional and global levels. A range of proposed activities for each are presented in detail in The Partnership 2008 Value Added Work Plan, including:
- The “Deliver Now for Women + Children” campaign is an advocacy drive that promotes maternal, newborn and child health as one. Deliver Now aims to develop advocacy and leadership skills, build media capacity to report on MNCH and conduct social mobilization training. A national campaign is going ahead in India. In Tanzania, national partners are working to develop a proposal for a country campaign.
- The Women Deliver Conference agreed on three pillars to save women and newborn lives and further work is under way to reach consensus regarding the essential package of services for maternal, newborn and child health;
- Japan is the host of this year's G8 Summit and has expressed its intention to put maternal, newborn & child health on the agenda, in the context of the Health Millennium Development Goals. The MNCH community is working towards a common advocacy position for this crucial event;
- The Effective Interventions Working Group is working on a landscape review of partners' priorities in regards to MNCH and reproductive interventions, to be released soon;
- A series of Multi-country Workshops are planned for Health Care Professionals. The next workshop is on 26-29 March 2008 in Burkina Faso.