Optimizing Global Fund proposals to promote women's and children's health
Conclusion & Sources
A triple return on MDG investments
There is potential to expand the impact of Global Fund investments to improve the health of women and children even further within the existing mandate and framework. An integrative approach to the health MDGs is also consistent with the UN Secretary-General’s Global Strategy for Women’s and Children’s Health,13 which builds on the Campaign on Accelerated Reduction of Maternal Mortality in Africa (CARMMA) and other related initiatives, and offers a triple return on investments by improving progress towards MDGs 4, 5 and 6.
- WHO. The Global Burden of Disease: 2004 Update; 2008.
- UNAIDS. UNAIDS Report on the global AIDS epidemic; 2010.
- WHO, UNICEF. Countdown to 2015 decade report (2000–2010): taking stock of maternal, newborn and child survival; 2010.
- WHO, Stop TB Partnership. 2010/2011 Tuberculosis Global Facts. 2010.
- WHO. Women’s health and human rights: Monitoring the implementation of CEDAW; 2007.
- The Global Fund. Twenty Second Board Meeting (December 2010) and Twenty First Board Meeting (April 2010).
- The Global Fund. Practical Guidance Tool: Strengthening support for maternal, newborn and child health within Global Fund proposals (tbc). 2011.
- Lassi ZS, Haider BA, Bhutta ZA. Community-based intervention packages for reducing maternal and neonatal morbidity and mortality and improving neonatal outcomes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; (11): CD007754.
- Darmstadt GL, Bhutta ZA, Cousens S, Adam T, Walker N, de Bernis L. Evidence-based, cost-effective interventions: how many newborn babies can we save? Lancet. 2005; 365(9463): 977-88.
- Pattinson R, Kerber K, Buchmann E, Friberg IK, Belizan M, Lansky S, et al. Stillbirths: how can health systems deliver for mothers and babies? Lancet. 2011; 377(9777): 1610-23.
- WHO. WHO Technical Guidance Note: Strengthening inclusion of maternal, newborn and child health in proposals to the Global Fund and other Partners (tbc). 2011.
- WHO. The World Health Report. Health Systems Financing: The Path to Universal Coverage; 2010.
- UN Secretary-General. Global Strategy for Women's and Children's Health; 2010.
- The Global Fund. Health Systems Strengthening http://www.theglobalfund.org/en/performance/effectiveness/hss/?lang=en
- The Global Fund. Community Systems Strengthening Framework; 2010.
- OHCHR. International Law http://www2.ohchr.org/english/law/index.htm#core
- United Nations Commission on Information and Accountability for Women’s and Children’s Health. Advance copy of the report of the Commission: Keeping Promises, Measuring Results; 2011.