Guide to fostering change to scale up effective health services
Everyone working to improve health, including donors, researchers, technical experts, service providers and advocates at the global, national, district, community and family level is in the business of fostering, leading or implementing change. But not everyone involved in this work has a clear pathway that links proven change practices with evidence-based clinical and programmatic innovations.
Successful change is not an end in itself. Rather, it is a means of improving the availability and quality of services, expanding utilization and, ultimately, improving health outcomes. This guide links effective change practices with proven clinical and programmatic practices to achieve results by:
- Describing principles fundamental to effective change.
- Increasing awareness of proven approaches to effective change.
- Providing “how-to” steps for successful change including scale-up.
- Describing key challenges of scaling up and recommending strategies, tools or approaches for meeting those challenges.
- Offering cases that show how the steps have been implemented in real-life situations.
This guide is for policy-makers, programme managers, operations researchers or other health professionals who want to bring about change in a health practice or set of practices.