School health and youth health promotion: facts
- Worm infections are the greatest cause of disease among 5-14 year old children.
- Vitamin A deficiency is the single greatest cause of preventable childhood blindness.
- Iodine deficiency is the single most common preventable cause of mental retardation and brain damage in children.
- Injury is the leading cause of death and disability among school-age youth.
- One out of two young people who start and continue to smoke will be killed by tobacco-related illness.
- Worldwide, 5% of all deaths of young people between the ages of 15 and 29 are attributable to alcohol use.
- In some countries, up to 60% of all new HIV infections occur among 15-24 year olds.
All of the above health problems can be prevented or significantly reduced through effective school health and youth health programmes.