WHO Bulletin focus on social determinants
2 October 2011 - The October issue of the WHO Bulletin focuses on social determinants of health, with two editorials and a perspective, plus an interview and news articles from Australia, Brazil, India, Chile and the United Kingdom.
The editorials reflect the views of Sir Michael Marmot, who chaired the WHO Commission on Social Determinants of Health in 2005, and of Dr Rüdiger Krech, the director of the Department of Ethics, Equity, Trade and Human Rights at WHO. Dr Krech also co-authors a piece with Dr Kumanan Rasanathan calling for more action on social factors to combat noncommunicable diseases.
In an interview, Dr Alexandre Padilha, Minister of Health of Brazil, discusses how his government is acting to reduce health inequities.
- Global action on social determinants of health - by Sir Michael Marmot
- Social determinants of health: practical solutions to deal with a well-recognized issue - by Dr Rüdiger Krech
- Brazil calls for pact on social factors to improve health - Interview with Minister of Health Dr Alexandre Padilha
- Behind the 'Glasgow effect'
- Tackling social factors to save lives in India
- A decade towards better health in Chile
- Dealing with the big picture in Australia