- Primary Prevention of Substance Abuse: A Workbook for Project Operators
- Primary Prevention of Substance Abuse: A Facilitator Guide
The workbook provides basic information on objectives and principles in primary prevention of substance abuse among young people. This information is crucial in getting to understand a wide range of strategies that could be used. Characteristics of young people that make them vulnerable to substance use and abuse are briefly described. Broad areas of project development and implementation, networking and role of volunteers are also outlined. These documents are in several languages: Bemba, English, Filipino, Nyanja, Russian, Swahili, Thai and Vietnamese. Click here
- Meeting Reports
Three regional meeting reports are also available. They report on proceedings of the Regional workshops held in Harare, Hanoi and Moscow. Objectives and programme were accomplished using interactive training methods. These workshops provided a medium for evaluating the draft training materials which resulted in the present products 1 and 2. An instrument used in the evaluation of the materials is annexed in all the regional meetings including the analyses from these evaluations.
- Overall Evaluation: Baseline Assessment Guidelines and Instruments
The implementation of the UNDCP/WHO Global Initiative on Primary Prevention of Substance Abuse is firmly based on the need for sound evidence as guide to adopting appropriate, specific and targeted interventions. In order to support Research Institutions in the three regions of implementation, WHO developed generic guidelines and instruments which were adapted to collect baseline data in 17 sites across the three regions. These same guidelines will be adapted for post evaluation of the project. To view the generic protocol click here. To view summaries of baseline assessments Click here
- Good practices on assessing and planning for substance abuse prevention among youth
- Good practices on monitoring and evaluating substance abuse prevention among youth
- Outcome Evaluation Summary Report: WHO/UNODC Global Initiative on Primary Prevention of Substance Abuse
This is the summary report of the outcome evaluation of the WHO/UNODC Global Initiative on Primary Prevention of Substance Abuse. Download [pdf 979kb]
- Prevention of Psychoactive Substance Use: A Selected Review of What Works in the Area of Prevention
The review on what works in the area of prevention was accomplished as a collaborative effort between the National Drug Research Institute (Perth) and the World Health Organization (WHO), Geneva. Based on existing and accessible information, this review set out to determine what evidence exists for the efficacy of preventive interventions in five circumscribed areas; (i) regulation of physical and economic availability of alcohol (ii) regulation of physical and economic availability of illicit substances (iii) the use of the mass media (iv) community-based initiatives and (v) the use of school based education. (Introduction - Part I - Part II - Database).
- Working with Street Children: Monitoring and Evaluation of a Street Children Project A training Package on Substance Use, Sexual and Reproductive Health including HIV/AIDS and STDs click here.