Public health problems caused by harmful use of alcohol
A 2005 World Health Assembly resolution calls on WHO to intensify international collaboration in reducing public health problems caused by the harmful use of alcohol.
The hazardous and harmful use of alcohol has now become one of the most important risks to health: it is the leading risk factor in developing countries with low mortality rates and ranks third in developed countries, according to the World Health Report 2002.
While alcohol use is deeply embedded in many societies, recent years have seen changes in drinking patterns across the globe: rates of consumption, drinking to excess among the general population and heavy episodic drinking among young people are on the rise in many countries.
Health problems associated with alcohol consumption have reached alarming levels, and alcohol use contributes to a wide range of diseases, health conditions and high-risk behaviours, from mental disorders and road traffic injuries, to liver diseases and unsafe sexual behaviour.
Through this WHA resolution, WHO’s Secretariat is requested to address a number of areas related to the issue of harmful use of alcohol, including: gathering and sharing scientific information on alcohol consumption and related public health problems; preparing research and policy initiatives and recommendations for effective policies and interventions; providing support to Member States in monitoring alcohol-related harm and implementing effective strategies and promoting identification and management of alcohol-use disorders in primary health care.
The World Health Assembly takes note that the word 'harmful' in this resolution refers only to the public health effects of alcohol use and does not intend to prejudice the religious beliefs or cultural norms of any Member State.
WORLD HEALTH ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION
WHA58.26 - Public health problems caused by harmful use of alcohol
REPORT BY THE SECRETARIAT TO THE WORLD HEALTH ASSEMBLY
Report by the Secretariat to the 61st World Health Assembly - Strategies to reduce the harmful use of alcohol: A61/13
Report by the Secretariat to the 60th World Health Assembly - Evidence-based strategies and interventions to reduce alcohol-related harm: A60/14 and A60/14 Add.1
- A60/14 Evidence-based strategies and interventions to reduce alcohol-related harm
- A60/14 Add.1 Global assessment of public-health problems caused by harmful use of alcohol (Addendum)
Report by the Secretariat to the 58th World Health Assembly - Public health problems caused by harmful use of alcohol: A58/18
EXECUTIVE BOARD RESOLUTION
EB122.R2 - Strategies to reduce the harmful use of alcohol
REPORT BY THE SECRETARIAT TO THE EXECUTIVE BOARD
Report by the Secretariat to the Executive Board 121st Session - the Second Report of the WHO Expert Committee on Problems Related to Alcohol Consumption: EB121/10
- Report by the Secretariat to the Executive Board 121st Session on the Second Report of the WHO Expert Committee on Problems Related to Alcohol Consumption
Report by the Secretariat to the Executive Board 120th Session - Implementation of resolutions: progress reports: EB120/35
- EB120/35 Implementation of resolutions: progress report on public-health problems caused by harmful use of alcohol
ACTIVITIES FOLLOWING THE WHA RESOLUTION
- Open informal consultation on alcohol production and distribution data (19-20 February 2008)
- WHO Expert Committee on Problems Related to Alcohol Consumption (10-13 October 2006)
- Meeting with stakeholders on health problems related to alcohol consumption (9 October 2006)
- WHO is seeking views and opinions of stakeholders on health problems related to alcohol consumption (deadline 15 September 2006)
- Meeting with representatives of nongovernmental organizations and professional associations (24-25 April 2006)
- Open consultations with representatives of alcohol industry, agricultural and trade sectors (8 March 2006)
INITIATIVES IN THE WHO REGIONS
WHO Regional Office for Africa
- AFR/RC57/14: Harmful use of alcohol in the WHO African Region
- AFR/RC58/3: Actions to reduce the Harmful Use of Alcohol
WHO Regional Office for the Americas:
WHO Regional Office for Europe:
WHO Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean
- Resolution (2006): Public health problems of alcohol consumption in the Region
- Technical paper: Public health problems of alcohol consumption in the Region
WHO Regional Office for South-East Asia
- Resolution (2006): Alcohol, consumption control - Policy options
- Endorsed document: Alcohol Consumption Control - Policy Options in the South-East Asia Region
WHO Regional Office for the Western Pacific