Drug-resistant TB: global situation
Summary of global burden
- Globally in 2014, there were an estimated 3.3% of new cases and 20% of previously treated cases with MDR-TB.
- Drug resistance surveillance data show that an estimated 480 000 people developed MDR-TB in 2014 and 190 000 people died.
- 300 000 cases of MDR-TB estimated among TB patients reported by national TB programmes in 2014.
- Extensively drug-resistant TB (XDR-TB) has been reported by 105 countries in 2014. On average, an estimated 9.7% of people with MDR-TB have XDR-TB.
Maps, graphs and tables related to global burden and progress
- Maps: Indicators of diagnosis, notification and treatment of drug-resistant TB, by country and year
- Graphs and tables: Indicators of diagnosis, notification and treatment of drug-resistant TB, by country and year