WHO monitoring of Xpert MTB/RIF roll-out
TB diagnostics and laboratory strengthening
Xpert MTB/RIF is an automated, cartridge-based nucleic amplification assay for the simultaneous detection of TB and rifampicin resistance directly from sputum in under two hours. The technology is based on the GeneXpert platform and was developed as a partnership between the Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics (FIND), Cepheid Inc. and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, with support from the US National Institutes of Health. WHO recommended use of the technology in December 2010 and is monitoring the global roll-out of the technology to promote coordination.
Global procurement of instrument modules and cartridges
Available map indicators:
- whether country has procured at least one GeneXpert instrument
- total number of procured GeneXpert modules
- total number of procured Xpert MTB/RIF cartridges
As of 31 December 2016, a total of 6,659 GeneXpert instruments (comprising 29,865 modules) and 23,140,350 Xpert MTB/RIF cartridges had been procured in the public sector in 130 of the 145 countries eligible for concessional pricing. In 2016 alone, 6.9 million cartridges were procured in the public sector under concessional pricing.
- More details on concessional prices and eligible countries can be found on the FIND (Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics) web site
Meetings on Xpert MTB/RIF
- 2014: Global Forum of Xpert MTB/RIF Implementers (6th GLI Partners’ Meeting, WHO Geneva, Switzerland from 30th April to 2nd May)
- 2013: Global Forum of Xpert MTB/RIF Implementers (5th Annual GLI Partners’ Meeting, Les Pensières, Veyrier-du-Lac, France from 15 to 18 April)
- 2012: Early implementers meeting on Xpert MTB/RIF roll out (4th Annual GLI Meeting, Les Pensières, Veyrier-du-Lac, France from 17 to 19 April)
- 2011: Implementation and roll-out of the Xpert MTB/RIF system for rapid diagnosis of tuberculosis and multidrug-resistance (Workshop for Early Implementers, Starling Geneva Hotel & Conference Center, Geneva, Switzerland from 7 to 8 April )