Policy statement: Liquid media for culture and DST
The use of liquid medium for culture and DST, 2007
WHO recommends, as a step-wise approach:
- the use of liquid medium for culture and DST in middle- and low-income countries;
- the rapid species identification to address the needs for culture and drug susceptibility testing (DST).
Taking into consideration that liquid systems will be implemented in a phased manner, integrated into a country specific comprehensive plan for laboratory capacity strengthening and addressing the following key issues:
- appropriate biosafety level;
- detailed customer plan describing guarantees and commitments of the manufacturer;
- appropriate training of staff;
- maintenance of infrastructure and equipment in laboratories;
- quick transportation of samples from the peripheral to the culture laboratory;
- rapid communication of results.