Chest radiography in tuberculosis detection
Summary of current WHO recommendations and guidance on programmatic approaches
Chest radiography is an essential tool for the early detection of TB, and therefore fundamental to achieve the targets set out in WHO’s End TB Strategy. The WHO has released a consolidated summary of WHO recommendations on the use chest radiography in TB detection and guidance on programmatic approaches.
The document provides guidance in the following areas:
- Chest radiography as a triage tool.
- Chest radiography as a diagnostic aid.
- Chest radiography as a screening tool.
- Technical specification, quality assurance and safety.
- Strategic planning for use of chest radiography in national TB control.
The document also describes new technological developments in chest radiography, such as computer aided detection of TB that holds promise for future use but needs to be further evaluated before WHO guidance is developed.