ANDI regional networks
The establishment of the Asian and Americas (South American) Network for Drugs and Diagnostics Innovation (Asian-NDI, South American-NDI) has also been initiated. Although still in the early stages, a similar approach is being followed where an independent R&D mapping process has been initiated for China, India and the 10 member-countries of the ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations). These countries will be brought together at a later stage to discuss the framework for implementation of Asian-NDI.
A Chinese network has been initiated and launched with a major meeting in Shanghai in October 2009 which reviewed and discussed the findings from the initial mapping activity in China. This was followed with a brainstorming meeting of the ASEAN countries in Manila in October 2009 with a goal of starting the mapping of R&D landscape for the ASEAN countries.
A similar meeting and mapping is expected to be initiated in India early in 2010. A broader Asian meeting is planned for 2010 to discuss the feasibility a central Asian-NDI. For South America: a brainstorming meeting was organized in Panama in September 2009. In all cases, discussions and meetings are being held in collaboration with the WHO regional offices.
These regional networks currently form the basis of activities falling under the TDR Business Line on Innovation for Product Development in Disease-Endemic Countries (BL4) with the following strategic objectives:
- Define gaps and opportunities for innovative R&D in the South through regional mapping of the R&D landscape and capabilities
- Facilitate the design, creation and implementation of regional innovation networks in the South dedicated to the discovery, development and delivery of drugs, diagnostics and other health products and technologies in DECs
- Support the discovery and development of novel diagnostic tests, drugs and other products for tropical diseases in DECs through targeted calls for application that will eventually feed into regional networks.
- Coordinate the development of standard operating procedures (SOPs) to support the discovery and development of pharmaceuticals in DECs.
- Facilitate interface with existing initiatives, PPPs, biotech/Pharma and regional networks such as ANDI to promote broader South-South and North-South collaboration to enhance technology utilization and transfer.