Four-drug fixed-dose combinations (4FDCs) Compliant with the WHO model list of Essential drugs
Report of an informal consultation, Geneva, Switzerland, 15-17 Aug 2001
Four-drug fixed dose combinations (4FDCs)* have the potential to improve tuberculosis control and ultimately save lives.
In August 2001, researchers and experts from academia and industry met to define the research needed to accelerate the use of 4FDCs in tuberculosis control. Participants reviewed the current status and made recommendations in four areas, addressed in detail in this report:
- Implementation of 4FDCs in TB control
- Improving the quality assurance and safety testing of 4FDCs
- Facilitating registration of 4FDCs of proven quality
- Expanding the evidence base for the use of FDCs.
* 4FDCs compliant with the WHO Model List of Essential Drugs are those that contain:
- 150mg rifampicin
- 75mg isoniazid
- 400mg pyrazinamide
- 275mg ethambutol