WHO opens Centre for Tobacco Control in Africa
Place: Kampala, UgandaDate: 1 November 2011
The World Health Organization (WHO) has opened a Centre for Tobacco Control in Africa, Kampala, Uganda to build regional capacity to strengthen tobacco control interventions. The Centre is hosted by a consortium led by Makerere University School of Public Health in Kampala, Uganda, and is funded through a grant to WHO from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The formal launch on 1 November 2011 was announced by the Speaker of Uganda’s Parliament, Honourable Rebecca Kadaga in the presence of the Minister of Health of Uganda, Dr Christine Ondoa. The other dignitaries present included Honourable Members of Parliament Lematia Ruth Molly Ondoru and Rose Mary Seninde, Dr Jane Ruth Aceng, Director General of Health Services and senior Ministry of Health officials, Professor Venansius Baryamureeba Vice Chancellor and other faculty from Makerere University, WHO staff from headquarters, WHO Regional Office for Africa and WHO Country Office in Uganda. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation was represented by Ms Cynthia Lewis, Senior Program Officer. There were also representatives from many other partners institutions including the American Cancer Society, the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, the World Lung Foundation, the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease and the Framework Convention Alliance.
Launch videos messages
- Message from Associate Professor William Bazeyo, Dean Makerere University School of Public Health [streaming wmv, 00:00:41]
- Message from Dr Christine Ondoa, the Minister of Health for Uganda [streaming wmv, 00:07:52]
- Message from Dr Douglas Bettcher, Director WHO Tobacco Free Initiative [streaming wmv, 00:01:20]
- Message from Ms Cynthia Lewis, Senior Program Officer at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation [streaming wmv, 00:03:35]
- Message from Dr Joaquim Saweka, WHO Country Representative for Uganda [streaming wmv, 00:06:25] 6:25
- Video performance from Yogemu Primary School Muve ku Sada [streaming wmv, 00:02:32]
- Video from Yogemu Primary School Group Poem [streaming wmv, 00:00:43]