World Heart Day
27 September 2009
Tobacco use is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease. If fewer people smoked, there would be fewer heart attacks and strokes.
The World Health Organization's Tobacco Free Initiative supports World Heart Day, which takes place annually on the fourth Sunday of September under the sponsorship of the World Heart Federation, a nongovernmental organization in official relations with WHO.
For more information about World Heart Day, tobacco's contribution to the epidemic of cardiovascular diseases and WHO's efforts to control tobacco, view the following web pages:
- World Heart Federation site
- WHO fact sheet about tobacco as a major risk factor for heart disease
- World Heart Day 2009 video: "Work with heart"
- More about cardiovascular diseases
- Q&A: What can I do to avoid a heart attack or stroke?
- WHO Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health cluster
- WHO Tobacco Free Initiative