Key strategies to strengthen national capacity for tobacco control
- Analyse the national tobacco control situation (impact of tobacco use, political willingness, public awareness, etc.).
- Develop consensus and political commitment for tobacco control in the country.
- Outline national tobacco control strategies based on priorities that consider the characteristics of the national tobacco epidemic and the socio-political environment.
- Establish a national co-ordination: after the nomination of a focal point or person responsible for tobacco control a committee for tobacco control involving different government sectors needs to be created. This tobacco control Committee will develop policies and programmes for tobacco control.
- Build a comprehensive national plan of action reflecting national priorities and realities.
- Establish through national regulation/legislation sustained funding mechanisms for tobacco control programmes.
- Incorporate national tobacco control efforts into existing national, state and district level health structures to ensure sustainability.
- Develop strategies for monitoring and counteraction of tobacco industry activities in the country.
- Establish a system of monitoring and evaluation of tobacco control policies development and implementation.