WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic 2009
Implementing smoke-free environments
The report is the second in a series that tracks the status of the tobacco epidemic and the impact of the interventions that are being implemented to stop it.
The report provides a comprehensive overview of the evidence base for protecting people from the harms of second-hand tobacco smoke through legislation and enforcement. There is a special focus on the status of implementation of smoke-free policies, with detailed data collected for the first time ever on a global basis at both the national level and for large subnational jurisdictions. Additional analyses of smoke-free legislation were performed, allowing a more detailed understanding of progress and future challenges in this area.
Download the report by section
FURTHER INFORMATION AND MEDIA MATERIALS
- Appendix I - Regional Summary of MPOWER measures
- Appendix II - Regulation of smoke-free environments
- Appendix III - Status of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control
- Appendix IV - Global tobacco control policy data
- Appendix V - Country profiles
- Appendix VI - Graphs on tobacco taxes and prices
- Appendix VII - Age-standardized prevalence estimates for smoking, 2006
- Appendix VIII - Country-provided prevalence data
- Appendix IX - Global Youth Tobacco Survey data
- Appendix X - Maps on global tobacco control policy data