World No Tobacco Day, 31 May 2010
Women are at great risk
- Tobacco companies are spending heavily on alluring marketing campaigns that target women.
- Women are gaining spending power and independence. Therefore, they are more able to afford tobacco and feel freer to use it.
- Tobacco companies are investing heavily in the low-income and middle-income countries, where most potential new female users live.
- Many countries do not do enough to protect their people from second-hand smoke.
- Many women do not know about the harm done by second-hand smoke, or feel as if they have no right to complain.