World No Tobacco Day 2013 awards
Call for nominations
7 February 2013 - The World Health Organization (WHO) is calling for nominations to the World No Tobacco Day Awards of individuals or organizations in each of the six WHO Regions for their accomplishments in the area of tobacco control.
There will be a maximum of six World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) awards per WHO region. Two of the awardees might be granted special recognition by means of a WHO Director-General Special Recognition Award.
Who can make nominations
Anyone can submit names for consideration.
Who can be nominated
- The nominee can be an individual or a collective (e.g., a nongovernmental organization devoted to tobacco control).
- The nominee must have made an outstanding contribution to the advancement of the policies and measures contained in the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control and its guidelines, particularly in relation to the theme of World No Tobacco Day.
Possible reasons are:
- The nomination can be for a particular action, or for a group of actions, or for the body of a nominee's work at any level be it local, national or international.
- The nominee may have set a meritorious example for others in the tobacco control movement.
- The nominee may have overcome a big obstacle in achieving the objective for which he or she is considered worthy of a World No Tobacco Day award.
- The nominee may have demonstrated outstanding leadership or commitment or been particularly innovative in his or her approach to tobacco control.
- The nominee may have brought particular resources or knowledge or expertise to bear on tobacco control.
- The nominee may have made an outstanding contribution to sustainable development through tobacco control.
- Nominations for reasons based on the regular parliamentary or administrative work of nominees, e.g. the hosting or chairing of meetings, will not be considered.
Who cannot be nominated
- WHO or other United Nations staff and their relatives.
- People or collectives employed by or involved with the tobacco industry and their relatives.
- People or collectives who had received a World No Tobacco Day award in the two previous years.
How to submit a nomination
- Nominations can be submitted by email to the WHO Regional Offices (contacts below)
- Nominations should be written in one of the six WHO official languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, or Spanish).
Each nomination will need to provide the following information
- Complete name of the nominee.
- Title of the nominee, if a person.
- Address of the nominee, including email or phone.
- Detailed description of the reason for the nomination, including the dates of the actions.
The deadline for the receipt of nominations is Sunday, 10 March 2013
Announcement of awardees
- The World Health Organization will announce the awardees in WHO Tobacco Free Initiative web site five days before 31 May.