In almost every country, the proportion of people aged over 60 years is growing faster than any other age group, as a result of both longer life expectancy and declining fertility rates.
This population ageing can be seen as a success story for public health policies and for socioeconomic development, but it also challenges society to adapt, in order to maximize the health and functional capacity of older people as well as their social participation and security.
- Interesting facts about ageing
- What is "active ageing"?
- Fact sheet on falls
- Q&A on ageing
- Ageing: Bulletin articles
WHO programme and activities
- Age-friendly primary health care (PHC) centres toolkit
- Older persons in emergencies [pdf 1.16Mb]
- Global age-friendly cities: a guide [pdf 1.57Mb]