The role of V&B is to:
- set standards for immunization
activities in emergencies in collaboration with UNHCR and other UN
agencies, NGOs, voluntary organizations and Ministries of Health.
- provide technical advice to EHA as
they develop guidelines and operational manuals.
- provide organizations in the field
with baseline data and trend analysis of communicable diseases through
strengthening of national surveillance systems (especially "rapid
- strengthen national capacity for
laboratory services that can function in support of an emergency in a
country. Ensure regional and global laboratory support for special
needs of local or national laboratories in emergencies.
- liaison with WHO units (EHA), with
other UN organizations e.g. UNICEF, DHA, UNDP, UNV, FAO, WFP, NGOs and
other disaster relief agencies.
- provide a sound technical basis for
Ministries of Health to select appropriate sterilization and injection
equipment for use in emergencies.
- take part in the communications
network between other emergency-orientated organizations, WHO Regional
Offices and countries to facilitate quick, effective responses to
- promote proactive action in countries
to predict and prevent epidemics through e.g. mass campaigns in the
- promote the development of appropriate
technologies for use during immunization activities in emergencies.
These include rapid diagnostic tests, safe injection equipment and
procedures for safe disposal after use, new ways of administering
vaccines in mass campaigns, and recommendations on cold chain