4th Milestones of a Global Campaign for Violence Prevention Meeting: "Boosting global violence prevention"
Date: 17 - 18 September 2009
Place: Geneva, Switzerland
The 4th Milestones of a Global Campaign for Violence Prevention Meeting was held at WHO headquarters, Geneva. The theme of the meeting was "Boosting global violence prevention". The meeting discussed plans to substantially increase action, political support, and funding for violence prevention worldwide by:
- Presenting new evidence on effective interventions to prevent interpersonal violence;
- Describing promising violence prevention programmes around the world;
- Proposing strategies for increasing political support and funding, particularly in low- and middle-income countries;
- Inviting international organizations to increase their commitment;
- Highlighting links with other global health issues, such as the social determinants of health; and
- Enhancing collaboration between the public health and criminal justice/public safety sectors.
The meeting included high-level representatives from the health and other sectors, and every WHO region was represented. Global experts on violence prevention were keynote speakers and presenters. The 180 participants also included policy-makers, high-level planners, and people in violence prevention-related leadership roles who have influence and follow-up authority.
Milestones 2009 Meeting Report
Opening address of Dr Ala din Alwan, WHO Assistant Director-General
List of participants