The Research Centre for the Violence Prevention in Central America (CIPREVICA)
CIPREVICA is a non-governmental organization that, based on scientific research, seeks to promote a comprehensive and inter-sectorial approach to violence from the prevention perspective, through training and technical assistance to civil society and State entities, as well as enabling its articulation in Central America.
CIPREVICA has identified that specific issues to face the reactive approach to violence are because of: the lack of empirical evidence and theoretical reflection in the region; the lack of capacity for collective resilience; the social network of the countries in the region is torn, mainly due to structural and political violence; the lack of spaces for inter-sectorial dialogue in municipal territories and/or the incapacity of diverse social sectors to dialogue; the State’s weakness and incapacity, as well as of other stakeholders with a certain agency capacity in the municipalities, to address urban violence in a comprehensive manner from the prevention perspective.
In face of this issues, CIPREVICA proposes the final goal of the convergence of resilient political subjects in citizenship that is active, articulated and proposes alternatives to address the issue of urban violence in a comprehensive manner, aimed at building municipalities with improved conditions for a dignified life, lower violence rates and sustainable development.
CIPREVICA´s strategic action lines to address the problem of violence at a municipal level, a national level and a regional level are:
- A strategic research line that contributes to the characterization of urban violence and the strategies that have been effective to ensure violence is addressed in a comprehensive manner, from the prevention perspective.
- Implementation of virtual and blended learning evidence-based training processes, to build capacities for collective resilience and the promotion of citizenship that is respectful of human rights, between civil society actors and State actors.
- The generation and development of communities of practice, resulting from training processes. This strategy will translate into the creation and regular actions of sectorial communities of practice, generating proposals and actions for the prevention of violence at local level, from a comprehensive approach.
- To enable coordination between communities of practice of the civil society and the State, with an aim to promote inter-sectorial participation as a privileged space for the collective formulation of public policies, programmes, projects and/or actions for the comprehensive prevention of violence at municipal level and at inter-municipal level.
- CIPREVICA plans to provide technical assistance on urban violence to public officers and actors of other sectors working in municipalities. This strategy will be aimed at building and/or strengthening knowledge and skills for addressing urban violence in a comprehensive manner, from the prevention perspective, and at building capacities for transforming leadership and conflict-solving.
12 calle 1-43, Zona 10, edificio Pivaral sexto Nivel
Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala
Tel: +(502) 2332-6128, 2332-6126
E-mail: email@example.com with cc to: firstname.lastname@example.org
VPA focal person
Alba Lily Muñoz
Tel: +502 2332-6126
Lily Muñoz coordinates the Knowledge Management for Violence Prevention area for Central America in CIPREVI. With more of 20 years of experience in the social research, in universities and non-governmental research centers. In the last decade her investigations has been focalized in the different dimensions of the urban violence and violence against woman in Guatemala and Central America. She has a degree in Sociology (graduated from the San Carlos University of Guatemala), a Master degree in International Cooperation (graduated from the Santiago de Compostela University) and she completed her doctoral studies in Sociology at the Badø University College in Norway. She also is a secretary at the Central American Association of Sociology (Asociación Centroamericana de Sociología in Spanish).