WHO/TDR /Andy Craggs
WASH can prevent a wide range of diseases which may include:
- those due to ingestion of water contaminated by micro-organisms and chemicals such as diarrhoea, arsenicosis or fluorosis;
- diseases like schistosomiasis which have part of their lifecycle in water;
- diseases like soil-transmitted helminthiasis resulting from poor sanitation and hygiene;
- diseases like malaria or dengue with water-related vectors;
- and others such as legionellosis carried by aerosols containing certain micro-organisms.