Evaluation of the costs and benefits of water and sanitation improvements at the global level
The aim of this study was to estimate the economic costs and benefits of a range of selected interventions to improve water and sanitation services, with results presented for 17 WHO sub-regions and at the global level. Interventions evaluated include:
- improvements required to meet the millennium development goals (MDG) for water supply (by halving by 2015 the proportion of those without access to safe drinking water),
- meet the water MDG plus halving by 2015 the proportion of those without access to adequate sanitation,
- increasing access to improved water and sanitation for everyone,
- providing disinfection at point-of-use over and above increasing access to improved water supply and sanitation
- providing regulated piped water supply in house and sewage connection with partial sewerage for everyone.