independent Expert Review Group (iERG)
On 2 September 2011, the Selection Committee met in Geneva. Mrs Gumbonzvanda, Mr Jenkins, Dr Sezibera and Dr Godal were joined by the fifth member, Minister Fada of Senegal, by video link. The Committee met to propose the seven members of the independent Expert Review Group (iERG), as well as the two co-chairs.
The list of proposed nominees contained 47 names. The Committee noted that certain regions, namely the Caribbean, Central and West Africa and Asia Pacific were not represented in the pool of nominees.
Taking into account the iERG Terms of Reference and the need to consider a combination of technical, leadership, political, geographical and gender factors, the Selection Committee members unanimously agreed to propose the following membership for the iERG:
- Dr Carmen Barroso of Brazil - Director, International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF) Western Hemisphere Region)
- Dr Zulfiqar Bhutta of Pakistan - Professor and Founding Chair of the Division of Women and Child Health, Aga Khan University, Karachi
- Dr Richard Horton of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - Editor of the Lancet
- Dr Dean Jamison of the United States of America - Professor, School of Public Health, University of Washington
- Mrs Joy Phumaphi of Botswana - Executive Secretary of the African Leaders Malaria Alliance - ALMA
- Dr Marleen Temmerman of Belgium - Senator and Professor, University of Ghent
- Dr Miriam Were of Kenya - Global Health Workforce Alliance
The Committee proposed Dr Horton and Mrs Phumaphi as co-chairs of the iERG.
Dr Margaret Chan, WHO Director-General, announced this list of names at the UN Secretary-General's event on the Global Strategy on 20 September 2011.