130th WHO Executive Board - January 16 - 23
The 130th WHO Executive Board (EB) took place in Geneva from 16-23 January 2012. Chaired by Rahhal El Makkaoui, Secretary General, Ministry of Health Rabat, Morocco - the EB considered in great detail an implementation plan for WHO reform including its costing and actions to track progress, along with a range of management and staffing matters.
The following technical and health matters were also discussed:
- the outcomes of the high-level meeting of the UN General Assembly and the First Global Ministerial Conference on Healthy Lifestyles and Noncommunicable Disease Control;
- the outcomes of the recent World Conference on Social Determinants of Health;
- an implementation plan for maternal, infant and young child nutrition;
- monitoring the achievement of the health-related MDGs and an initial discussion on global health goals beyond 2015;
- Polio: intensification of the global eradication initiative, including a draft resolution; and
- WHO's response, and role as the health cluster lead, in meeting the growing demands of health in humanitarian emergencies.
The EB also nominated Dr Margaret Chan for a second term as Director-General of the Organization. If confirmed by the World Health Assembly, Dr Chan's new term will begin on 1 July 2012 and continue until 30 June 2017.