Métis National Council
Since 1983, the Métis National Council (MNC) has represented the Métis Nation nationally and internationally. It receives its mandate and direction from the democratically elected leadership of the Métis Nation's governments from Ontario westward. MNC's central goal is to secure a healthy space for the Métis Nation's on-going existence within the Canadian federation.
On September 19, 2003, the Supreme Court of Canada delivered its landmark decision in R. v. Powley that recognized and affirmed the existence of Métis as a distinct Aboriginal people with existing rights protected by s. 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982. This landmark case is central to MNC’s agenda.
MNC continues to help move the Métis people towards self-government. It’s made some very important gains in its agenda. Keeping all Métis citizens aware of the progress is a priority. For example, there is now a national definition of Métis for citizenship within the Métis Nation that has been adopted by all Métis governments from Ontario westward. Based on this definition, there is continued push forward on the establishment of a Métis Nation Registry. As well, the MNC is continuing its work to ensure the harvesting rights of all Métis Nation citizens are recognized and protected.
Links to the health workforce crisis
MNC’s Health Portal provides an one-source information on:
- the health and well-being status of the Métis population;
- the broader health determinants that influence health;
- Métis Nation demographics which play a major role in determining the type & amount of resources required; and
- programs that address the people’s needs. MNC strives to strengthen the Métis population by:
- providing scholarships, bursaries & training for Aboriginal students in the health field;
- supporting students in completing their academic studies; and
- providing support to students on the broader determinants of health.
Call for knowledge information:
Alliance Members are invited to submit any relevant knowledge products such as documents, reports, tools, multimedia, links to specific project web sites by sending an email to email@example.com. The Alliance Secretariat will publish relevant products on the Member's page.
Visit our Knowledge centre.