WONCA - World Organization of Family Doctors
The World Organization of Family Doctors (Wonca) is based in Singapore. It began officially at the Fifth World Conference on General Practice in Melbourne in 1972. Prior to 1972, Wonca existed as an unofficial body with an “Interim Council” that met at the time of the first four World Conferences. Wonca is made up of national colleges, academies or organizations concerned with the academic aspects of general family practice. Beginning with 18 members, there are now 97 member organizations in 79 countries. In all, the total membership of the member organizations of Wonca is over 200,000 general practitioners/family physicians.
The mission of Wonca is to improve the quality of life of the peoples of the world through defining and promoting its values, as well as by fostering and maintaining high standards of care in general practice/family medicine. It does this by:
- promoting personal, comprehensive and continuing care for the individual in the context of the family and the community;
- encouraging and supporting the development of academic organizations of general practitioners/family physicians;
- providing a forum for exchange of knowledge and information between member organizations of general practitioners/family physicians;
- and representing the educational, research and service provision activities of general practitioners/family physicians before other world organizations and forums concerned with health and medical care.
Links to the health workforce crisis
The goals of Wonca are to:
- Develop family practice training and services in areas of greatest need, in the spirit of equity.
- Encourage research on the theoretical basis and clinical content.
- Promote the role of the family doctor.
- Facilitate education in general practice/family medicine.
- Continue to develop effective working relationships at all levels.
- Secure adequate funding for Wonca.
Call for knowledge information:
Alliance Members are invited to submit any relevant knowledge products such as documents, reports, tools, multimedia, links to specific project web sites by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Alliance Secretariat will publish relevant products on the Member's page.
Visit our Knowledge centre.