Aims and objectives of World Health Day 2008
The objective of World Health Day 2008 is to catalyse public participation in the global campaign to protect health from the adverse effects of climate change. WHO aims to put public health at the centre of the UN agenda on climate change.
This is an opportunity for the international agencies, nongovernmental organizations, and governments as well as WHO to:
- Establish links between climate change and health and other development areas such as environment, food, energy, transport;
- Hold events/activities in countries to publicize issues related to the impact of climate change on health;
- Involve as wide a spectrum of the world population as possible in efforts to stabilize climate change;
- Create advocacy campaigns for generating momentum that compels governments, the international community, civil society and individuals to take action;
- Protect poor and vulnerable populations from the effects of climate change, especially in Africa.